Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Map

Yesterday I had an appointment with one of the advisers for the "Life Sciences" college. I was planning on talking to her about my ideas about majoring in either Microbiology or Physiology. I was hoping that she could help me decide which would be best for me to take based on my goals and fears concerning the future.

When I met her, she was very kind and helpful. I explained my dilemma---that I was interested in both aspects of science and that my goals are to go to medical school and become a doctor. I also told her about my overall interest in working inside of the medical field and that I have had some experience in most sections of health care. (As far as observing and understanding the positions goes.)

After I finished talking she just looked at me and said, "I'm going to confuse you even more."

She then opened up her binder of "Major Academic Plans" and showed me one that was called "Clinical Lab Science."

"The CLS major combines both Physiology and Microbiology, along with other medical-related sciences, and adds an element of 'hands-on' experience."

She told me that nearly all of the classes that I'd be taking for the CLS major would correspond to both the Microbiology and Physiology majors, so if I decided that I really would rather do either one of them instead, I could easily switch majors and finish at around the same time.

She also said that with a CLS degree and certification I could go straight to work in the lab of a hospital or clinic doing diagnostic laboratory work and pathology if I ended up deciding later on that medical school isn't for me.

I really liked the prospect of being able to keep all of those options open, so I went for it. I am now a Clinical Lab Science major!

2 comments:

Deb said...

That sounds perfect! I'm glad you got some good advice. Keeping your options open is important.

Roger Koehler said...

That sounds perfect! I'm glad you spoke with her.